Wednesday, December 08, 2004

What peice of work offers you consolation?

As an English major, I have read many texts and written even more papers, however I can always remember a short poem by one of my favorites, Henry W. Longfellow. In high school I was extremely busy and involved within clubs, sports, activities and the other trials and tribulations of being young. I remember one particular day, a day full of stress- I had just recieved two acceptance letters from two Universities- Lousiana State University, where my mother had attended, and Gongzaga University, where my father had attended. Both parents wanted me to attend their old universites, while I had no actual idea of where I wanted to go. I felt lost and unsure, which I'm sure many high school students do, and I was walking through the hallway and had just entered English class and I saw this poem on my teacher's desk: "And the night shall be filled with music, and the cares that infest the day, shall fold thier tents, like the Arabs, and as silently steal away." I know this is short and may not be considerd to be an actual text, yet, I love it nonetheless. When I read these words I suddenly felt better, knowing that whatever my decided univeristy to attend, would be wonderful. I still repeat these words in my head whenever I encounter hard days, or too much homework. How nice and delightful that just a few stanzas of someone's words can offer consolation and comfort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home